10 things you may, or may not know about Malaysia...
1. The Malaysian flag was designed by Mohamed Hamzah, a 29 year old public works department architect in Johor Bahru. The flag was adopted in September 16, 1963.
2. Sabah is home to the Rafflesia, the biggest flower in the world.
3.The first movie ever played in Tanah Melayu was Laila Majnun, 1933.
4. Penang Free School is the oldest English school in South East Asia (1816).
5. The Japanese landed at Kota Bahru during the Malaya invasion 1941. They rode their bicycles to Singapura in 45 days.
6. The Sungai Besi Airport was the national's first airport.
7. The country's only single Jewish cemetery is in Penang, Jalan Zainal Abidin (formerly Jalan Jahudi) established in 1805.
8. Captain Tristram Speedy is responsible for naming "Thaipeng' (Taiping) which means Heavenly Peace in 1871.
9. Tun - is a title conferred by the Agong (king) to the most highly contributed and deserving male recipient to the country. There may only be 35 living holder at a given time.
10.Our first railroad was built in between Taiping and Port Weld covering 13km opened on 1st June 1885 (most of our first railroad was built to transport tin from mines).
HAPPY 56TH INDEPENDENCE DAY!
For more stuff, simply read Wikipedia or dig around from other sources:)